Monday, April 8, 2024

The difference between Romans 7 and 8

I have been reflecting on holiness and I heard a message by Dallas Willard when something caught my attention. A woman said, "I identify with what Paul says about my spirit is willing, but my flesh is weak." 

Dallas responded by saying, "Oh, so you are stuck in Romans 7. You need to move on to Romans 8 because in the Spirit we are freed from the law."

Hmmmm. I knew I had to study this I have quoted this and heard countless followers quote this. So, the last two mornings, I have been reflecting on Romans 7 & 8. Yesterday, I made my lists. It is so messy, but wozer.  I love how Romans 7 exposes the law and the flesh while Romans 8 shows us the beauty and strength of life in the Spirit.

Dallas' statement made me wonder how many followers of Jesus are stuck in Romans 7, but need to move on and live out Romans 8?  

How have we so identified with that statement that we never moved on to freedom?

Where do I live as if still bound by the law?  Do I live in the freedom I have received by the Spirit through Christ?

Our children could write a whole comedic show on the errors we made as young parents that were bound by the law. Often our family stories are of them making fun of us. Our early child rearing definitely showed we were bound by the law. They had to endure our struggle to mature in Christ. Thanks be to God they now see we are free indeed. 

This is so worth meditating on. Are you stuck in Romans 7? How can you move toward Romans 8?  Or said differently, are you still bound by the letter of the law or are you free in the Spirit?

We serve the law with our mind. We serve the flesh with sin. We serve the kingdom of God by the Spirit. Which one is ruling you?

Shalom y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment